If you are reading this page is probably because you realized that a simple basketball cap just won’t do the job!
You are absolutely right!
Here are the most important criteria to follow when choosing a good gardener’s hat:
- The hat should be wide : When working long hours outdoor, under the scorching sun, you need a good hat wide enough to protect your face, nose, neck, and shoulders.
- The hat material should be breathable: You are going to spend a great deal of time with this hat. And you are going to sweat. Guaranteed. Besides that, the hat material should be rated UPF 50+, meaning that the material blocks direct UVA rays.
- The hat should be flexible: you must be able to easily fold your hat and keep it in your pocket when not needed.
- The hat should be washable: due to the sweat I mentioned before.
- The hat should be comfortable: meaning that it must fit perfectly and not fall to the ground if you bend.
Here are some of my all-time favorites that are sold on Amazon. They are all unisex.
Sunday Afternoons Unisex Ultra-Adventure Hat
This Sunday Afternoons Unisex Ultra-Adventure Hat is made of a polyester Dobbie material that is very soft and breathable. It is ultralight and you hardly feel it. Its material is rated UPF 50. It folds flat and gives you maximum protection for the face and neck.
EINSKEY Sun Hat for Men/Women, Waterproof Wide Brim Bucket Hat UV Protection Boonie Hat
This Einskey hat has a nice, wide, and sturdy brim (no flopping). Fix perfectly and is very comfortable. It is made of tough material, has adjustable chin & head cords, and can easily be folded flat. The model in the picture is the classic unisex style, however, you can choose between 6 more shapes and styles on their website. The hat needs to be hand-washed with cold water and detergent. Do not bleach and tumble dry.
Lenikis Unisex Outdoor Activities UV Protecting Sun Hats with Neck Flap
This Lenikis hat his hat is specifically designed to cover ears, and neck. As a matter of fact, it does a great job in protecting from the sun. In case of rain, the bill of the hat is rigid and it doesn’t flop down on your forehead when it gets wet. Ultralight and extremely comfortable.